Wednesday 20 August 2008

Sweetcorn Fritters

Pin It Now!

The other day I bought some cobs of corn and they'd been lying around in my fridge waiting for me to eat them. Usually, I would just grill the corn as it is and have it with a herb butter or just simply with some butter and salt and pepper, but I didn't really have anything to serve alongside and didn't want to go out spending more money on groceries this week either. Plus, tomorrow I have to draw the contents of my fridge for an artist book project I'm involved in, so I don't want to fill it up with more stuff (Be honest, is there ever a time when you go to the grocery shop and only pick up the thing you actually went in for?!), instead I wanted to empty it out a bit to make my job easier.

I've been meaning to try and make some sweetcorn fritters in ages, so I went searching the net and combined a number of different recipes to come up with this one. I had them with a simple tomato, cucumber and pepper side salad and some sweet chili dipping sauce. You can easily double the recipe and I'm sure frozen corn would work just as well instead of the fresh.

Photobucket

Fresh Sweetcorn Fritters (serves 2)

60gr plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
1 pinch of salt
2tbsp milk
1 egg, beaten
1 cobs of corn, cooked and cooled
1/4 red pepper, chopped finely

Sift together the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper and salt.

Add the milk and the egg and whisk until you get a smooth, thick batter.

Slice the corn kernels of the cobs and add them to the batter together with the red pepper, mix in well.

Heat some oil in a frying pan and place one heaped tablespoon in the pan for each fritter, pressing it down to spread the batter out a bit so it can cook evenly.

Fry until golden brown on both sides, place on some kitchen towel to soak up any extra oil when done and serve with your favourite dip.

17 comments:

Jules said...

I love sweetcorn and these look delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I usually just have my corn slathered with butter and a little sea salt but these do sound exceptional Sylvie:D

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This looks like a lovely simple supper. Love sweetcorn too!!

J.L. Danger said...

these look great! and so simple.

chris said...

Looks yummy Sylvie.

Angela said...

They look delicious Sylvie, if my corn ever reaches maturity that is something I will try out.

Raquel said...

Oh, Sylvie! Those look fab, I did the same thing not long ago! I love the corn with the sweet chili sauce. Much love - Raquel XO

Ciel said...

Time saving trick - you don't need to cook the corn beforehand.
We have found the corn to be sweeter and juicier if we don't cook & cool first. And I am all for saving time if it tastes as good or better!

Deborah said...

I made some corn fritters a little while back, and I totally fell in love! These look amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is a great suggestion and I'll have to try it. It's been awhile since I made fritters and just so happens I have 3 corn ears still left from the market!

Like you, I normally just grill it. I like the simplicity. But we grilled a few the other night and they were more 'gummy' than sweet and crisp. I'm not describing that well. I think maybe it's best tho... putting them into something where they have 'helper' ingredients to give them a boost. :)

Thanks for the yummy thought!

-Ali-

La Bella Cooks said...

Corn fritters are such a treat and yours look so delicious! Now I am craving some.

Jan said...

They look great Sylvie!

Gloria Baker said...

Thses look absolutely yummy!!!!!Gloria

Jaime said...

mmmm those look so good!

Rajani said...

these look good, I'd made these once - the recipe the same as you've used, but mine were just passably good, so I thought to turn it into pancakes or something. maybe mine didnt work too well cos I used half wholewheat flour. but u give me hope!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

These look lovely! Believe it or not, I have never tried these before :)

Rosie said...

Those really look lovely mmmm...

Rosie x