Saturday 9 January 2010

Leek and Potato Soup

Pin It Now!

Are you bored of soup yet? Well, I'm not and I doubt I ever will be, especially while it is this cold.

I know some people are moaning about the cold and all the snow, but I'm loving it. I really am. This is what winter is supposed to be like in my opinion and I know it's a pain to drive in this weather, but I don't have a car anyways, so that doesn't bother me. I feel a slight pinch of sadness every time I walk past my bicycle that's not been taken out for a ride for over a week now, but I smile every time I pull the laces on my hiking boots tight, put on another layer of crazy knitwear and venture out into the white in the knowledge that there is a pot of soup or at least a cup of cocoa waiting for me on my return.



Leek and Potato Soup (serves 4)

2tbsp butter
1lb leeks, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
1lb potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite sized chunks
1 onion, chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
225ml milk
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
single cream (optional)

Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.

Add the chopped leeks, potatoes and onion and sautee for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.

Add the stock and the milk and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through.

Depending on your preference you can serve the chunky soup as it is, or whiz it with a stick blender until it is smooth.

If you like you can pour a little single cream into each bowl before serving, swirl it around gently with a fork for a pretty pattern.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Great minds must think alike Sylvie. I made a tasty pot of this the other day as well. It is a great warmer upper on these cold frigid days!! Yours looks delicious!

Deborah said...

I made a potato and leek soup earlier this week that was not good at all. I want to try this, becasue I am still craving a good version!/

Nora said...

This has always been my favourite soup - my parents called it 'green soup' to disguise the vegetable content! There's nothing better than a nice hot bowl of leek and potato soup with a hunk of bread and cheese.
And I'm with you on the weather - it's still fun! Perhaps not having a car really helps...

Susan@Holly Grove said...

I agree there is nothing like a frosty Winter's day, a bowl of homemade soup and a lovely log fire, except perhaps a lovely Summer's day, sunshine and a bowl of strawberries from the garden - well, I can dream!

Lucie said...

lovely and heart warming, just what you need at the moment! thanks for sharing, sounds a lovely recipe. Lucie x

Jan said...

Lovely looking soup Sylvie.
I too love this cold weather and the snow but we have a problem - Paul is a window cleaner and his water is frozen! It's not only frozen in the tank but will freeze on windows too :(
So with no money now for the 4th week in a row we need it to go away in Telford at least!

pigpigscorner said...

I love the snow when I'm indoors =) it's just a pain to go to work in this kind of weather.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love creamy soups wehen it is cold outside. You are having quite the winter over there I see, even more snow than we have here in Canada in the valley. After years and years of hard winters the novelty wears off but shovelling all that snow is good excercise:D

Anonymous said...

I pretty much eat soup for lunch most days. Love your soup!

Iiiii said...

You have really nice recipes! I am glad that I've discovered your blog:)!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favourite soup recipes that I make time and time again. It is simple, yet delicious, exactly the way cooking should be. Thanks for this wonderful addition to my collection.