Tuesday 17 January 2012

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast

Pin It Now!

Most weekday mornings I just have a bowl of cereal, porridge or a buttered crumpet with a cup of Earl Grey tea for breakfast. Today though, the combination of working from home and having planned soup for dinner, meant that I felt like having something a little more substantial and exciting to start the day off with.

When I checked my fridge this morning I found some small avocados that I bought last week and that were getting quite ripe, so I decided to have them on toast with a poached egg to top it all. Delicious.

I guess this isn't really a recipe, but I'll share my method of making poached eggs with you. I have been given some silicon egg poachers for my birthday, but in case you don't have any don't worry it isn't really that difficult to poach eggs without them.

Photobucket

Poached Egg and Avocado Toast (serves 1-2)

2 fresh eggs
a dash of white wine or cider vinegar
1 liter of water
1 avocado (2 if they are really small), sliced
2 slices of your favourite bread, toasted
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Heat the water with a dash of vinegar in a frying pan until just simmering.

Crack one eggs into a small cup, being careful not to damage the yolk. The eggs should be really fresh, old eggs don't poach well.

Now take a spoon into one hand and the cup containing the egg in your other. Swirl the water in the frying pan, so that you create a bit of a whirl pool effect and bring the cup close to the surface of the water before you pour the egg from the cup into the middle of of the whirling water. That way the whites get 'swirled' around your yolk and it stops your egg from spreading out too much.

Your pan should be big enough so that you can poach two eggs at the same time. Just repeat the previous step adding the second egg, making sure it is not too close to the first one.

Keep the eggs on a very low simmer for around three minutes. If you like your yolks a bit firmer, you might want to give them four minutes.

Remove from the pan carefully with a slotted spoon and place onto a plate lined with kitchen towel to drain.

Arrange the sliced avocado on top of your hot buttered toast and top with a poached egg.

Season with salt and freshly ground pepper as desired.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It may not be a recipe but an idea, and a darn good one at that.

Caitlin @ Hardly Housewives said...

Yum! Looks so tasty!

Anonymous said...

That looks like the perfect breakfast, lunch or supper to me!
Mary x

Karen S Booth said...

What a wonderful photo and recipe....just my kind of snack!
My blog has moved by the way...from blogger to Wordpress here:
http://www.lavenderandlovage.com

Vanessa @ Cakes and Teacups said...

I have just learned how to properly poach an egg. Thank you and the food pairing is yummy.